I was really wondering if I should use the word discoveries in this case, because I think almost every fashion magazine wrote about Elisabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream quite recently … but on the other hand there is nothing new under the sun … and as for me it’s my personal discovery … definitely it was not the love from first … sniff … this cream has an awful smell although I bought the fragrance free version (!) … and at the beginning I had a problem with finding the best way of using it … it was a bit like giving chess to a dog … so I tried to put it here and there … a bit … a lot … and I can confirm its healing properties but the real discovery is to use it as an moisturiser … for the whole face, for the whole night … (the best if your partner can spend this night in a guest room) … it was a great relief for my sandpaper-like skin …
encouraged by the success of my finding I decided to have a closer look to other moisturisers … so I bought Nutrix from Lancome and I have to admit it’s great too and has a decent price … the same procedure … whole face, whole night but … your partner can stay with you (!)
it’s been quite an intensive time for me recently … but finally I managed to gather some interesting and less interesting points from last weeks, they have not so much in common but if this is not the first post of mine you are reading then you shouldn’t be surprised …
number one … I did use Nuxe Huile Prodigieuse for my hair for the first time (WHAT A NEWS !); I’ve been always a bit sceptic about putting oil on my hair … but it’s amazing, seriously I do not usually get so excited about my hair but … you just need to put this oil on your hair (you can really put a lot) and then after 15-20 just rinse it away using your usual shampoo …
number two … I have never liked the marine style (I know, I know … but we just do not go very well together ..) but I really like the marine t-shirts you just need to take away the marine drama by wearing it together with … for instance leather pants … or you just wear it without anything else … if you prefer you can add some jewellery to your outfit to draw the attention away from the fact you’re half naked
number three … this beautiful heart on the picture above is a gift from my grandmother … generally I do not wear jewellery but this, besides THE ring, is an exception … of course for sentimental reasons …one add on … I am not a big fan of short chains so I combined two short ones into one: one part is also from my grandmother and the other one I got for my 18th birthday from my mother … so now it’s perfect …
… when I think about absolute feminine look I imagine a long, black dress, pearls, cigarettes … and a fur coat ! … and when I keep on thinking (it happens) I think about “old Hollywood” and then I can only see my beloved Bette Davis. It’s her who said – in one of her interviews – “the only royalty America has ever had were the actors of Hollywood” and for me she was the queen! On the top of my adoration for her artistry I love to watch her outfits … and there are a lot of fur coats there …
… as it can be observed, fur coats are sooo coming back now (again my compliments to Nina) although it’s a different style, different attitude (fur coat is also no longer reflection of your social status … oh yes, it used to be one) and everyone can choose something which is in accordance with his philosophy of life. I like this idea and I am definitely going to purchase one for myself … but as much as I love the way how fur coats are worn now … with jeans, leather pants (my obsession) … generally more relaxed … I will always have in my memory the one and only Bette wearing her fur coat and smoking a cigarette …
… how do you know that what you imagine about yourself is the same that people see?
I can assure you it is not so clear … any ideas how to check whether your idea of yourself is coherent with what you show outside? … it’s interesting … I become convinced there is no exhaustive answer to this question … BUT (it’s like with German grammar there is ALWAYS one BUT) what you can try is … for your look … take a picture of yourself, make short movie and watch it carefully (in this case it has nothing to do with narcissism) … for your personality … skim over the gifts you received from people who you think know you best … bla, bla, bla just a small bite of philosophy for the begging of the week, stay cool and do not take life too serious …
I think I already mentioned it, … most probably even more then once … I looove sweaters, the bigger the better … and I know this one was already presented in my posts and please be sure it will keep coming back, … it’s one of those pieces of clothes that I regret not buying at least two of them, … just in case one would loose its sleeve or … would be kidnapped(!)
I would like to dedicate this post to all your clothes which have been worn for more then one season !
… I am a great fan of museums (wait, wait it may also happen to you one day), but I rather feel safer admiring masterpieces created before XIX century then after so I was a bit sceptic when entering Kiasma, the Modern Art Museum in Helsinki but … it turned out I loved it.
If you’ll ever have a chance to visit Kiasma, please do so, it’s absolutely worth it !
Click on the logo to visit the official web page and … enjoy !
… it’s like the never-ending story, I mean discussion about the style, chic and/or class, magazines vie with one and another to deliver the best, most complete list of tricks and hints how to be stylish (just to be clear I always enjoy reading those lists) … but come on, let’s be realistic it is not following of those hints that makes you stylish, it can make you look like someone stylish … but that’s something different, isn’t it?
… it’s so much easier to create the certain image then to become an exceptional personality, the second option requires more efforts …
… but as I mentioned, I like to read all of those lists and pick those elements which I find interesting, so please find below the collection of some points which according to my observation are often characteristic for people who I admire, people with class and style:
- it’s rather unlike that you’ll find this person standing in front of a camera and listing which stylish clothes she’s wearing at the moment
- stylish look is mostly a combination of something modest and something impossible to be missed
- stylish way of clothing means expressing your attributes, attitudes, knowledge and always a bit of auto-irony through your outfit; it’s such a cliché but if you pack “no-personality” into the most beautiful outfit it will always remain “no-personality” wearing beautiful outfit
- stylish person do not dress herself to prove something and definitely not to show her superiority over those poor little guys with bad taste …
- she dazzles with her self-confidence but is never cheeky
- she is open, tolerant and no judgemental (but with clear opinions)
- she reads, watches, drinks and eats, travels and goes to yoga classes without informing the whole world about it … but if she does it, it makes you feel happy for her instead of being jealous
- paying her compliments makes her happy, not proud
- what she says is what she does … have you noticed how many people keep repeating that the best style means mixing designer with vintage and budget cloths … I become fed up with this statement (although I find it true) because the same people never or very seldom wear anything except of designer … you need to be true to be chic …
and some more hard facts … in addition to what I already mentioned in random thoughts about fashion and style … episode 1
- she is usually the fabric freak; I also believe that you can hardly be wrong when wearing
something of good quality and YES, everyone can afford it, there for we have outlets, sales and all kind of shopping conveniences for hunting great pieces for reasonable price, so no excuses here …
- I like when a person who buys designer clothes buys also “the designer”, what I mean by that is buying also the philosophy behind, why is Isabel Marant such a success ? because women adore her; for me this is a very good way of expressing your attitude through your clothes (ps. I keep my fingers crossed for Sandro and Maje)
- I do agree with Nina and Inès de La Fressange that it’s worth to invest in bones but also let us not get crazy here, we do not need to have it all … and for every person invest means something different … so you do not need to sell your TV set to buy yourself the Balmain blazer (of course I also would love to have one but …) … you should know your limits and find something appropriate at your price level, it is possible !
- chic person often smiles when reading this kind of hints … because she already knows them
Please expect I will continue with this topic !
The final statement which I have to make: you can not learn how to be stylish, you either have it or not … and I fully support Karl Lagerfeld opinion regarding being stylish (he mentioned it in one of his interviews for net-a-porter) if you are asking what to do to be stylish most probably you already lost your chance … ha !
again shortly … as much as I love to have my face on my face during the day, in the evening I prefer to get rid of everything … including my make-up
… since years I am using the Lotion Micellaire Nettoyante et Démaquillante de Avène, it has lovely, fresh smell and it leaves the skin really clean, you can feel it !
how does it work: you totally do not feel like going there, it’s cold outside, you’re tired … finally you go and spend really great time … why? … because you have no expectations !
or: you do not feel like going there because you know there will be a lot of people and you would like to have some time for yourself … finally you go and come back with leather pants !
how strange is this post … ?
anyway … ladies and gentlemen let me introduce one my very first leather pants accompanied by woollen half-gloves, already known sweaters, coat and … red lipstick = perfect winter outfit